Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Politics and Mental Health

Since the presidential debate is currently on I figured I ought to voice some thoughts. The mental health system is not great. My personal feelings about the system may not be completely accurate, but as an insider I have some experience and knowledge about how the system works.

Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act was passed in 2008, with the help of Obama, who was an Illinois Senator at the time. In 2010 the Act came into effect, but received very little recognition. Indeed, it's not an Act that I had ever heard of. This Act helped bring equality between care for mental health issues and other health issues (such as surgery and other medical benefits).

Affordable Care. The Affordable Care Act (approved on March 23, 2010) overall helps those of us with deemed "mental illness." So they say this Act is good news for us. I sure hope so. I am currently dependent on my parents to pay for my medical bills. It's from their pockets that I have received the care I need. DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) has literally saved my life. Many times. And it's expensive. CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) is covered under my insurance plan. DBT is not. Because mental health issues are rarely curable, despite being quite treatable, are often more expensive than other medical issues. Getting a one time surgery is less expensive than receiving decades of therapy and various other forms of treatment.

I feel that I've digressed.... I definitely think positive changes are being made in our healthcare system. I haven't specifically seen any changes in mental healthcare, however, I have little to base this off of. I don't pay for my care. I feel grateful that my family cares about my health and has allowed me to get the care that I need, and thus saved my life.

May the best man win the election on November 6th, 2012. I'm glad that I am now over 18 and am able to vote this time around.

(Check out the article below if you want more information on the Affordable Care Act)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/policy/health-care-law-offers-wider-benefits-for-treating-mental-illness.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment