Friday, September 28, 2012

Reviewing and Renewing

I just finished J.J. Keeler's book, I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands: The Other Side of OCD. It was quite awesome. My favorite thing about OCD literature is that every story is different. I love that. (As much as someone can love something as horrible as OCD). It's so interesting to hear another story and develop a greater understanding of the illness as a whole. Also, it's so true that people think of OCD as the hand-washing disease. People think of OCD as it is portrayed through the media (Monk - "the defective detective" -- not cool media, not cool). Because of this people rarely realize that OCD comes in many different forms.

The worst thing (in my opinion) that people can do when they notice a ritual, or something along that line, is to make the person feel like they are weird. This can be portrayed by saying things like "wow, that's super weird." Another thing that bothers me is when you're reading some OCD literature, or having a discussion with someone, and another person who is not privy to your private struggles comes over and says "oh hey, you're reading about OCD?" and the person you're with is like "yeah, Elle has really bad OCD." Thanks, faux-friend.

Sorry for that slight tirade. Long day. To end this post, I just want to say thanks J.J. Keeler for a great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment